Rural and Tribal Transportation
What is the Rural and Tribal Transportation Program(R/T)?
R/T provides accessible transportation services for the Nisqually Indian Tribe,
the Confederated Tribes of the Chehalis Reservation, the communities of Bucoda,
Rainier, Rochester, Tenino, Yelm and other parts of rural Thurston County. R/T
connects to Intercity Transit in Thurston County and Twin Transit in Lewis County.
Who can use R/T?
- Anyone who lives in Thurston County.
- When you call, the customer service representative will ask questions about
income and disability, but you do not need to have a low income or special
needs to ride.
- All R/T vehicles are accessible and lift-equipped.
When can you use R/T?
- Monday through Friday, excluding major holidays including New Years Day(January
1st), Memorial Day(Last Monday of May), Fourth of July(July 4th), Labor Day(First
Monday of September), Thanksgiving(fourth Thursday of November), and Christmas(December
- Service generally operates from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM with limited hours in
What does R/T cost?
- $1.00 per one-way trip.
- R/T accepts Intercity Transit and Twin Transit passes.
- R/T will also honor the StarPass(state employee transit pass).
How do you use R/T?
- Call 1-800-650-7846 to schedule a ride from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM Monday through
Friday. Please try to schedule your ride at least 24 hours in advance. Information
and ride cancellation is available outside of those hours.
- The customer service representative will help you determine how R/T will
work for you.
On Demand Services
- On demand services run from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM for the Centralia, Rochester/Grand
Mound, and Tenino areas.
- For the Yelm and Rainier areas demand services run from 6:00 AM to 2:00
PM and picks up from residences on the odd hours and returns on even hours.
Nisqually demand services run from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- At least 24 hours notice is required to schedule a trip.
- Service area for Yelm and Nisqually covers a 2 mile radius circle from the
city center(see map).
- Service area for Rainier covers a 3 mile radius circle from the city center(see
Click the map below to view a route map with time tables, or use the links